Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Andes Mint Chocolate Poke Cake

I decided to update my last post. I didn't like the name of the recipe, so I decided to rename it. I decided to rename because the ingredient central to this cake that is really featured are the Andes Creme de Menthe Chocolate Mint Baking Chips. I love the Andes Creme de Menthe chocolate mints. Sometimes the best part of going to Olive Garden or some other restaurant is when they give you the  Ande Mints after paying the check. I think they do that so you aren't so irritable about the amount on the bill. It's their incentive for you to come back. They taunt us with those wonderful little chocolate mints. It's both wonderful and sad at the same time. What I am trying to say is that because of the greatness that is Andes mints, I believe they deserve a cake of their own. It's really only fair to them and the world. 
I must also say that even though, I named this cake with Andes Mints in mind, it does taste like thin mints.
When I first saw the original recipes, it called for different ingredients. I made this recipe into my own by just using Andes Creme de Menthe Chocolate Mint Baking Chips. Ultimately it gave the flavor and texture I wanted. Beyond that, it also made the recipe simpler; instead of having to find buy several ingredients for the minty flavored ingredients, I simply had to find Andes Creme de Menthe Chocolate Mint Baking Chips and mint extract. 
When you add your mint extract to the cool whip, I'd recommend that you on the smaller amount and then add more. When I made this recipe the first time, I almost doubled the amount of mint extract. 
*****Warning: If you do not like cake with rich chocolate and mint then you will not like this cake. But that just means more for me. :)







Double Mint Chocolate Cake a.k.a. Grasshopper Cake
adapted from Something Swanky

Ingredients: 

1 chocolate cake mix(& water, oil, and eggs as listed on box)
1- 14.5 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1- 12.8 oz. jar Hershey's Special Hot Fudge Sauce 
2 cups crushed Andes mints 
1- 16 oz. container Cool whip
1/4-1/2 tsp. mint extract 
Green food color (optional)

Directions: 

  1. Prepare and bake the cake mix according to directions on box and bake in a 9x13 baking dish for the amount of time labeled on box. Allow to cool completely.
  2. Use the bottom of a wooden spoon to poke holes evenly across the entire cake (about 20-30 holes). Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake, trying to fill the holes.
  3. Heat the hot fudge sauce in a small bowl in the microwave. 30-40 seconds should do the trick, you jut want it to soften a little.
  4. Crumble half of crushed Andes mints into the hot fudge sauce and mix. Spread the fudge sauce mixture over the cake.
  5. In a large bowl, whisk together mint extract, green food coloring, and the cool whip. Spread the whipped topping over the fudge layer.
  6. Sprinkle the Andes Mint chips on top. Refrigerate and chill for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).
  7. Serve up and enjoy!


If you like thin mints, you'll love this cake. My family does! There is never any left, and when there is a slice left, it isn't for long. The last slice or two is always fought over. 
Enjoy and let us eat cake!

Peace, Love, Bake on.

                                             Andrea 

No comments:

Post a Comment