Saturday, January 26, 2013

Don't you love your hair?

You love your hair, right? I love my hair too. And I was going through all the list of things that I do with my hair and there is definitely a long list. Taking a good care of your is key to having healthy hair. 

If you love something you want to do all you can to take care of it. Well, here are a few things you shouldn't do and tips that you should do to help you on that tedious mission of taking care of your hair.

p.s. The bolded type are the things that are problems and below are tips to help you. 
1. To Much Heat

    The blow dryer, flat iron, and curling iron can all cause heat damage to your hair. Not that you should use these but with a little caution. Before using your blow dryer, flat iron, or curling iron, use a product that protects your hair from the heat. Treseme has affordable spray called Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. Redken also has a good hair protection spray called Iron Silk 07 Ultra Straightening Spray.You can buy that any drugstore or Walmart. The reason I mentioned this one as number one is because this one is the most forgotten or missed.














2. Washing To Often

Washing your hair to often can have an adverse effect. So unless you have super oily hair, there is no reason to wash your hair everyday. Washing to often can make your hair brittle and dry, which we obviously don't want. I would recommend to wash your hair every other day or two. If you have long hair you could probably go two days with out washing your hair. If you need some boost in your hair try dry shampoo. 


3. Brushing To Much

Have you ever been told to brush 100 strokes through her hair before bed. Well my grandmother once told me and at the time made since but now we know that is just not correct. That's a lot of brushing, to much in fact. Brushing your hair is good but like anything you do only in healthy amounts.  Brushing your hair to often can cause split ends or breakage in your hair. It can also cause your to be static-y. So only brush your hair when necessary. 


4. Brushing When Wet

Never, ever brush your hair when it's wet. Instead use a wide-toothed comb. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Don't tug on your tangles in your hair (more on this).


5. Being To Tough With Tangles

Remember how I mentioned how to handle wet hair? It's important not to tug at tangles. Doing so could cause breakage.  Use a de-tangling spray and gently work through the tangles in your hair. If you have curly hair like I do then brushing your only really ruins your curls. So what I do is, I only brush my hair when I am going to style it like curling my hair or straightening it.


6. Skipping the Conditioning Step

When washing your hair, it's so very important. Skipping conditioner can leave your hair dry, dull, and prone to tangles. With my curly hair, I never skip conditioner because if I do, my hair is a huge tangle-y mess. And so this brings me to my next point, conditioner helps keep you from having those impossible tangles that are hard to get out. 




7. Skipping Trims

We are all guilty of this-- me very much so. Even if you are trying to grow out your hair, getting trims will help keep your looking and feeling healthy. Getting trims will also keep your hair in shape and add style, so you might not get frustrated with it and get it cut again.


8. Living A Bit On The Wild Side

Bad habits such smoking, drinking, and skimping on sleep can really reek havoc on your body, including your hair. Though I am not saying to become a good-to-shoes for the sake of your hair, I am saying that with anything there is limit on anything good or bad. If you do over indulge, treat your hair to some extra prep time the following day. 



I am guilty of many of these things and I am trying to fix many of these. Which of these steps are you guilty of?Though it maybe hard to admit fess up!  Are there other hair sins you commit? Do tell.


                                                           Thanks and Good Luck!
                                                                                   Andrea 

   




No comments:

Post a Comment