Sunday, March 10, 2013

Cookie Dough Cupcakes

So everyone loves chocolate chip cookies and everyone loves cake, so why not combine to make something everyone will extremely love? You can with this amazing recipe. And why stop with just the cookie dough cupcake, when you can also have an amazing cookie dough frosting to pair with it. 
I was recently looking for some fun cupcake recipes for my sister's birthday and my birthday. And instantly thought of cookie dough cupcakes. I had made them once but I didn't really like the concept of the recipe, so I looked for a new one and I found one that I like. I found this recipe, courtesy of the Tidy Mom. From that recipe though I conjured up my own version of this recipe. 

Okay, so here is how you make them.

For the Cookie dough cake batter you will need:

  • 3 sticks of butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups  brown sugar, packed
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 2/3 cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp.  baking powder
  • 1 tsp.  baking soda 
  • 1/4 tsp.  salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips ( semisweet or bittersweet)
For the cookie dough frosting you will need:
  • 3 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 1/2 cup powdered or confectioners sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 tbs. heavy cream
  • 2  tsp. vanilla extract
For the cookie dough filling, you will need:
  • Refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough from store, rolled into balls.
  • Or your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe rolled into balled ( after they are rolled into balls, put them in freezer for 2-3 hours so that it is firm)
Instructions for the cake: 


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine the sugar and butter, using a mixer cream them together until it's light and fluffy ( about 3 minutes). Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition and scraping the the sides after each one as well. 
  3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a medium sized bowl.
  4. Alternating add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl with the milk on low speed, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, mixing each addition just until it is incorporated.
  5. Blend in the vanilla extract.
  6. Fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
  7. Divide batter into 24 cupcake liners. 
  8. Drop one rolled cookie dough into each cupcake liner filled with the cake batter. Do not push the cookie dough down.
  9. Bake in oven for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean when inserted into cake portion of cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans, after transfer to wire rack to cool.
Instructions for frosting:
  1. Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer on high speed until creamy and fluffy.
  2. Mix in the powdered sugar until smooth. 
  3. Beat in the flour and the salt.
  4. Mix in the cream and vanilla extract until smooth and combined. 
I used a 1M tip to pipe frosting onto cupcakes. You can further decorate by sprinkling cupcakes with mini chocolate chips and with a small cookie. 




These were the cupcakes I made for my sister's birthday. She took them to school to share with her class. I sprinkled the cupcakes with blue icing sugar and a little decoration that was the theme for her cookie dough cupcakes. These cupcakes were a hit for everyone who ate them and I am sure they will be hit with you too!

As usual good luck and have a great day! And if it's your birthday, I hope it's a good one!

Peace, love, bake on.

 Andrea

Fun Fact about me: I share my birthday with my younger sister and we are 7 years apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment